Bob Burg, a sought-after speaker at company leadership and sales conferences, and author of numerous bestselling books, including The Go-Giver, which has sold more than half a million copies, talks about his core philosophy to build long-lasting business relationships.
Bob Burg’s Journey
Bob started his career as a broadcaster in radio and television, but later made his way into sales.
He had a rough start in the sales arena, especially because the training he was given was “negligible at best.” That’s why he decided to become a student of sales, and learned the importance of focusing on the other person first. Money became an echo of value rather than a primary goal.
When Bob began his speaking career, he found support in the National Speakers Association. There, he met people like Brian Tracy, who became a source of support and inspiration.
Bob’s Philosophy to Build Long-Lasting Business Connections:
- Always give value first.
- Great salesmanship or influencing is never about the salesperson or the influencer. It’s about the people you try to serve.
- Value is in the eyes of the beholder. The key is not what we think is valuable, or what we think they should think is of value. Understanding the other person is a must.
- Money simply is an echo of value.
- You will be able to get ahead when you shift from an “I” focus to an “other” focus.
- Stay in touch with your business relationships. A handwritten note or a quick check in on social media is all it takes. Do so because you’re genuinely interested in them.
Worst influencer marketing moment
“In terms of writing, I’ve been very fortunate,” Bob says. However, there have been instances when a business venture turned out to be a bad idea.
To avoid this kind of situation, Bob suggests doing extensive research before committing to any business partnership. Even then, there are no guarantees. You’ll up your chances to succeed if there’s alignment between your values and those of your partners.
One thing you’re most excited about
The 10th anniversary of The Go-Giver. It’s now a series of books, including Go-Givers Sell More and The Go-Giver Leader. The Go-Giver Influencer is the most recent book in the series.
Resources and tools mentioned
- The Go-Giver main website
- National Speakers Association
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles
- How to Become a Speaker – Interview with Jane Atkinson
- How to Find an Agent – Interview with Margret McBride and Faye Atchison
- Kolbe Test
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
More about Bob Burg
Bob Burg is a sought-after speaker at company leadership and sales conferences. He has shared his speaking platform with everyone from today’s business leaders and broadcast personalities to even a former U.S. President.
Bob is the author of a number of books on sales, marketing and influence, with total book sales of well over a million copies. His book, The Go-Giver, coauthored with John David Mann has sold over half a million copies and it has been translated into 21 languages.
Bob is an advocate, supporter and defender of the Free Enterprise system, believing that the amount of money one makes is directly proportional to how many people they serve. He is also an unapologetic animal fanatic, and is a past member of the Board of Directors of Furry Friends Adoption, Clinic & Ranch in his town of Jupiter, Florida.